Directory‎ > ‎Religious‎ > ‎

ISR - Sisters of Reparation


The Brief History of the Congregation


    The Institute of the Sisters of Reparation, dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, was founded by Fr. Charles Salerio of the Pontifical Institute of Foreign Missions (PIME) and Mother Caroline Orsenigo on 2 October 1859 in Milan, Italy.

    The intention was that due to the war at that time between Italy and Austria the morality of the young girls and their state of lives were  declining to destruction. Therefore, Fr. Charles Salerio wanted to restore the lives of those girls and save their souls. Besides, he had a strong will to do reparation for one’s own sins, for the sins of all humankind and for the sins committed against the Blessed Sacrament.

    Our Founder Fr. Charles Salerio was ordained a  priest on 25 March 1850 and he was sent to the mission in Oceania with four companions in  the year 1852. After a few years, on account of his tremendous illness, he was asked to leave his mission and  to return to his homeland. Fr. Charles Selerio arrived at Milan on June 8, 1856.

    After returning from Oceania he realized that his mission was not in a foreign land, to evangelize the most distant unknown and neglected brothers who have not encountered God, but in his own motherland where many souls needed the mercy of God for their salvation. He saw the unpleasant situation in Milan, which moved him very much. His zealous heart was burning to save the souls of the poor, the infidels and the abandoned souls specially the moral decline of young girls. His aim was to share with the Saviour in the great task of the salvation of the world, under the protection of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Thus all souls, especially those most forlorn and despised, would become the object of the dedication of his socitey. On 15 December 1857, Father Charles Salerio met his friend Don Giovanni Riboldi, who fully approved his project and introduced to him a group of ladies who had started to do charitable work in the Parish of St. Mark under his direction with Caroline Orsenigo, their group leader. Through the mediation of her Parish Priest, Caroline Orsenigo thus had chance to contact Fr. Charles Salerio.

    Oneday in 1858, Caroline and Fr. Charles Salerio met for the first time and they realized that they had in common a great love for Jesus and for the Blessed Virgin, and were affected by the ruin of society. And since both of them had a strong desire of bringing souls to God and in order to prevent corruption Fr. Charles Salerio decided to found a new institute.

     Thus, after crossing many trials, passing through various obstacles there came into existence a new society dedicated their lives to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The date chosen was 2 October 1859, the Feast of Guardian Angels to whom Fr. Charles Salerio always had special devotion. This is the birthday of our Institute when his first four daughters (Caroline Orsenigo, Mary Angelina Arnaboldi, Rosa Molacchi and Teresa Tatti) knelt before an image of Our Lady of Sorrows and vowed themselves to the work of reparation in the hand of Fr. Charles Salerio.

    In March 1860, the founder himself went to Rome and had an audience with His Holiness pius IX who graciously granted his angust blessing and approbation to the new Institute.
    Perpetual Adoration was commenced after the blessing of the chapel took place in Milan on 15 October 1864. From then on each one of the Sisters of Reparations take turn and spend an hour in each day for adoring the Lord Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament.

    While the new institute of Milan was already settled in its work, in Venice, Anne Mary Marovich, the famous Venetian writer and artist together with Msgr. Daniel Canal,  a professor of science and arts, and also her tutor, founded an institute in 1862. Thus on21 November 1864, 8 virgins received the religious habit and made their vows in the hand of Msgr. Daniel Canal. The name of the Institute was called "Reparatrix of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus" and their house was called "Holy Family". The intention was to help unfortunate ladies, especially young women who, coming out of prison, would find heither welcome nor support, and also those who were in danger for their life, to give them a warm welcome under the care of the Mother. After a few years, having heard about the institute of Milan, she felt a great longing to meet the founder and to visit the "House of Nazareth".

    On 15 October 1864, when the blessing of the chapel took place in Milan, the two founders could meet and discuss together. Since, the two institutions were almost identical in nature and in the spirit which inspired them, both of them agreed that the glory of God wanted their union in order to accomplish the mission of charity which motivated them. In january 1868, the Superior of the Pious Ladies of Malan came to Venice. As soon as Mother Annemary Marovich met Mother caroline Orsenigo she knelt and humbly begged to be accepted as one of her daughter. In October 1868, Mother Marovich, the foundress and her companions Joined the interwoven the destinies of these three noble souls, Fr. Carlo Salerio, Mother Carolina Osenigo and Mother Anne Mary Marovich, just as three rivers flowing in the same direction are destined to meet and discharge their waters from one same outlet.

    According to the Spirit that burned in the heart of the Founder, the Institute of the Sisters of Reparation which was founded in Milan, Italy today is giving service to the Church, praising the glory of God and dedicating themselves for the salvation of souls in many other countries : Myanmr (1895), Brazil (1966), Philippines (2002), Australia (2005), and Papua New Guinea(2005).

    The Generalate of the Institute of the Sisters of Reparation is in Milan, Italy and the present General Superior is Mother Cristina Magatti.


The  arrival  of  the  missionary  sisters  in  Myanmar
   
    When Rocco Tornatore was the Vicar Apostolate of Taungngu Diocese, he realized that it was in great need of the General Superior of the Institute of the Sisters of Reparation (daughter of Fr. Charles Salerio) in Milan, Italy and requested to send some Sisters who were strong, self-giving and very zealous for the mission.
    According to the request of Msgr. Rocco Tornatore (Bishop of Taungngu, Myanmar) and with the encouragement from the PIME Superior and Andrea Carlo Ferrari (Cardinal of Milan) Mother General Angelina Arnaboldi was moved to select (6) Sisters who were most fervent for the mission work and sent them to Myanmar.
    They arrived in Yangon, Myanmar on 27th October 1895 with Fr. Paulo Manna (PIME). From Yangon they arrived to Taungngu by train.
    From then on until now the Institute of the Sisters of Reparation dedicate themselves for the salvation of souls and for the development of the mission in Myanmar.
    The Regionalate of the Institute of the Sisters of Reparation in Myanmar is St. Joseph Convent, Taungngu and the present Regional Superior is Mother Simplicia Ah Ei.



        “IN CHARITATE REDEMPTIO” (Redemption through Love). Redemption is possible only through love. The Redemption is the story of the love of the Blessed Trinity that manifested in the person of Jesus Christ. Our spirit of reparation is always in union with Christ, the sole Reparator, who regained and renewed the whole creation and drew all men into the bosom of the Father.

        The spirit of Reparation, the charism of the Sisters of Reparation, an aspect of Jesus’ life, was given through the intermediaries of the Founders, to make amends for sins through the worship of the Eucharist and to make reparation to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, with the aim of furthering the glory of God, the sanctification of its members and the salvation of souls. This is based on the greatest commandments: love of God and love of neighbour.

Our General objective:


    The Sisters of Reparation consecrated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, dedicate  themselves to the Church, by living the life-style of Reparation, imitating Jesus in His kenosis, and offer themselves as victims, to atone for the sins of humankind, and help the Christian restoration of society, above all assisting those most forlorn and despised by society in the Mission.

Specific objectives:
*     To participate in the mission of Jesus and in the Church through the offering of oneself as victim.
*     To get involved in various services of charity for the greater glory of God, the sanctification of its members and the salvation of souls.
*     To atone for the offenses made to God through the adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and to pray for the conversion of sinners.


















    “IN CHARITATE REDEMPTIO” (Redemption through Love). Redemption is possible only through love. The Redemption is the story of the love of the Blessed Trinity that manifested in the person of Jesus Christ. Our spirit of reparation is always in union with Christ, the sole Reparator, who regained and renewed the whole creation and drew all men into the bosom of the Father.
    The spirit of Reparation, the charism of the Sisters of Reparation, an aspect of Jesus’ life, was given through the intermediaries of the