Diocese of Lashio

Diocese of Lashio


His Excellency Bishop Philip Lasap Za Hawng (Bishop of Lashio)




Date of Birth



12.02.1945
Ordained Priest 01.03.1973
Ordained Bishop 30.04.1994
Installed 04.10.1998
Tel: 082-22433
Personal email: <filiminomyaw@gmail.com>

            SECRETARIAT
            Address:                 Sacred Heart Cathedral
                                           Catholic Church
                                           San Kaung Road, Ward 2.
                                           Lashio. N.S.S - 06301,
                                           MYANMAR



General Statistics:
Areainsq.klm : 61,268
CivilPopulation : 2.2 million
CatholicPopulation : 31,000
Parishes : 17
Priests-Diocesan : 33
Salesian : 8
ReligiousCongregation : 9
MenReligious(Brothers) : 5
WomenReligious(Sisters) : 122
Catechists : 120
MinorSeminarians : 72
MajorSeminarians

   in Theologate : 1
   in Spirituality : 5
   in Philosophate : 3








Brief History


This Mission territory of the Northern Shan States was first evangelized around 1869 by MEP Fathers from Archdiocese of Mandalay.  At a later phase in 1930 the PIME Italian fathers took over and much expansion was made on both East and West of the Salween River .  A two-pronged mission drive was made at that early stage from the diocese of Kengtung into the present diocese of Lashio. Under the aegis of Msgr. Bonetta and
hisk successors, the PIME Missionaries made much headway into the interior area.  From the very start a tough little group of Italian Reparation Sisters worked alongside the Fathers.  They helped open schools, boardings, nurseries and clinics.

The nationalization of all Mission and also private schools was indeed, a terrible blow. The church lost all her schools overnight.  It was a blessing in disguise. The religious now turned to direct mission apostolate. The Holy See entrusted Lashio to the Salesians in November 1975 creating it into a Prefecture.  Msgr. Jocelyn Madden, SDB, the Salesian Delegate, was appointed the first Prefect Apostolic. On his early retirement another Salesian, Msgr. Charles Bo, SDB, succeeded him .More development and further expansion took place. In 1989, a twin celebration was held; 
-  Golden Jubilee of the start of the Missions and
-  Reopening of the Wa  States Mission (the extensive area East of the Salween River.)

In recognition of the work of the Salesians, Rome soon moved fast.  On 16th December 1990, Msgr. Charles Bo was consecrated the first Bishop of the newly created Diocese of Lashio.

A further landmark was made in 1991, when the new Catechist Training Center was inaugurated in Lashiogyi.  Under the able guidance of the De La Salle Brothers a two year special Course is given to Catechists attending from all Dioceses.

In the span of some twenty years God has blessed us with new diocesan priests.  Inspired by Divine Providence Bishop Charles Bo  founded a Missionary Congregation of Brothers and Sisters of St Paul.  Its special charism is direct evangelization 'Ad Gentes'.  It started with a tiny seed of a few teenage boys and girls in 1990 and is even total a flourishing Congregation of 49 professed Religious.  It spread out in 13 houses, 10 in Lashio, two in Pathein Diocese and one in Pyay Diocese.

Then, Bishop Charles Bo was appointed as Bishop of Pathein on the  24th May, 1996.  Bishop Philip Lazap Za Hawng was installed as the new Bishop of  Lashio on the 4th October, 1998.  On the same solemn occasion two Diocesan priests were ordained for Lashio by the former Bishop Charles Bo, SDB of Lashio.

Bishop Philip Lasap Za Hawng continued to promote the newly founded Congregations of  St. Paul's Brothers and Sisters. However, in 2000, the Brothers decided to move to Pathein where the founder could give close attention to their formation. The Sisters remain in the diocese of Lashio and continue to grow in numbers. There were over 70 professed  Sisters in 2003. It spread out in 16 houses, 11 in the home diocese of Lashio, three in Pathein, one in Pyay and another house in the diocese of Myitkyina. In June 2005, the Novitiate of  St. Paul  Sisters in  Lashio had been moved out from Lashio to the Archdiocese of Yagon to the wish of Msgr. Charles Bo, the Archbishop  of Yangon, the Founder of the Association of the Missionary Sisters of St. Paul. During the past few years, there had been some newly ordained priests for the diocese of Lahio.

In view of meeting the socio-cultural  needs of many ethnic groups of the native  people of the diocese, Bishop Philip, with the encouragement of  the diocesan priests who are native of the diocese decided to found an apostolic soicety  of  The Sacred  Heart of Jesus  in collaboration with Sr. Maria Cao: Nao", formerly a member of  the Apostolic Missionary Society of St. Paul, the Apostle.


More information.. to link..